April 08, 2011

Welcome to my new blog

Dear film lovers near and far,

I am very glad that you found your way to my new blog derfilmsnob.blogspot.com

Here you will find reviews of both classic and new films I see as well as additional comments on the current state of world cinema. Most reviews will be in English but I will occasionally post reviews and articles about local events in my native language German as well because it just feels more natural to me to write about German language films in... well, German. But if you are interested in the reviews of these films and you don't understand the language, you can use Google Translate

It is no coincidence that I am starting this blog today since today is Andre Bazin's birthday. He would have been 93 today. In case you haven't heard about him, he was one of the most influential film critics ever and the father figure of the Nouvelle Vague. His theories are still discussed today and he is also the author of "What is cinema?", one of the most important film books.

In a time when film reception and criticism is getting increasingly shallow, I find it hugely important to stimulate independent thought which is why I would like to dedicate my blog to him - even though he is way out of my league as a critic...

I hope you will enjoy reading my posts as much as I enjoy writing them.

If you do (or even if you don't), I cordially invite you to comment on them.

Of course you can also share posts on facebook using the icons below them or you can
become a fan of my blog

Yours truly,

Der Filmsnob


Qu'est-ce que le cinéma?

1 comment:

  1. Dan Zukovic's "THE LAST BIG THING", called the "best unknown American film of the 1990's in the film book "Defining Moments in Movies" (Editor: Chris Fujiwara), was recently released on DVD and Netflix by Vanguard Cinema (http://www.vanguardcinema.com/thelastbigthing/thelastbigthing.htm), and is currently debuting on Cable Video On Demand, including Fandor. Featuring an important early role by 2011 Best Supporting Actor Oscar Nominee Mark Ruffalo ("The Avengers", "Shutter Island", "The Kids Are Alright"), "THE LAST BIG THING" had a US theatrical release in 1998, and gained a cult following over several years of screenings on the Showtime Networks.

    TRAILER: http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi856622873/

    "A distinctly brilliant and original work." Kevin Thomas - Los Angeles Times
    "A satire whose sharpest moments echo the tone of a Nathaniel West novel...Nasty Fun!"
    Stephen Holden - New York Times
    "One of the cleverest recent satires on contemporary Los Angeles...a very funny sleeper!"
    Michael Wilmington - Chicago Tribune
    "One of the few truly original low budget comedies of recent years." John Hartl - Seattle Times
    "'The Last Big Thing' is freakin' hilarious! The most important and overlooked indie film
    of the 1990's!" Chris Gore - Film Threat
















    ReplyDelete