August 02, 2011

Bridesmaids (USA 2011)

"Bridesmaids" received mostly positive reviews for being the first raunchy chick-flick and one that men can supposedly enjoy as well. Maybe the reason for this is that most movie critics are men but I am too and I defnitely can't share their excitement. After all, did the world really need "Sex in the City" gone wild or a female "Hangover"?

I have two main problems with the film: first of all, I don't want to see women (mis)behaving like that. It might sound awfully conservative and traditional but it is my firm opinion that women - and not only them - should always maintain a minimum level of grace and class. For me, none of this women would be potentially attractive - which is a major prerequisite for a romantic comedy to work. Secondly, the dirty jokes with their gross-out humour are the only original thing about the movie which is otherwise as predictable as usual and almost shockingly true to the rules of the genre it allegedly wants to reinvent. The same goes for the implausibilties and the celebration of material things. Which would be acceptable if the movie would at least be funny. But maybe it is my fault that I can't laugh about a woman publicly disposing her "lunch"...

The characters who all have some problems could have been potentially interesting but unfortunately none of them is explored on a deeper level. It is refreshing to see some new faces but Kristen Wiig, who also wrote the screenplay, is the only one that made a good impression on me. Her main character is at least likeable and the Saturday Night Live star shows some of her comedic talent. The touch of producer Judd Apatow is there occasionally but one can't help but thinking that he should stick what he knows best: the (love) problems of men. At least for me, "Bridesmaids" doesn't come close to the other comedies he produced in terms of entertainment value or believabilty.

If this is an accurate portrait of contemporary women, I will gladly stay single. And if films like this are an expression of the new feminism, I don't even want to know what's lying ahead...

5/10

Honestly, would you marry ANY of these women?

No comments:

Post a Comment